22 June 2009

The Strange Allure of Pink

My knowledge of pop music/music on the radio decreases every year.  Not owning a car is a factor, but by and large it's because most music on the radio is terrible.  When I watched this, I had to ask a friend what songs they were parodying (thereby introducing me to the entity known as Lady GaGa).

Most days, after young David is finished watching Dora die Explorer and goes to daycare in the morning, his grandfather changes the channel to an obscure MTV station that plays videos all day long.  At first I thought this was a thoughtful, if misguided, attempt at making me feel welcome, but after I replied no when asked if I enjoyed "this MTV music" and the channel was still on, I realized the grandfather likes listening to and watching the videos.  I've become increasingly more appalled by the videos I see, but luckily little Daniel has no interest in television and I'm usually in a different room with him, preventing serious injury.

Today Daniel was extra-tired and taking a mid-morning nap, so I sat down on the couch to read while music videos were playing in the background.  A video for a song that I didn't know existed began to play - Pink's "Please Don't Leave Me."  When I looked up to see the title, I had a hard time taking my eyes off the screen because the video actually has a an old Greek drama vibe to it.  Then, the grandfather walks into the room and says "ah yes . . . I lika da videos from diss, ah, Pink lady.   Dey are always-a very peculiar".  So we sat together and watched the strange scene below:


1 comment:

  1. Haha I really like Pink, and Funhouse is a great album...

    One of my favorite things to do with Lucy is watch music videos on youtube. She has definite tastes; here's her reviews from today:

    Ben Folds, Zak and Sara: two thumbs up, way up. This is her favorite song, and we have to listen to it at least once a day. She dances.

    Beaker the Muppet, Ode to Joy: thumbs definitely up. She laughed hysterically.

    Bach, Toccata and Fugue: fascination followed by terror. Organ fugues in D Minor are still a little dark for her.

    Feist, 1 2 3 4 (Sesame Street version): pleasant enough, nothing special. She liked the penguin puppets. (She has an obsession with penguin puppets.)

    Lion King, Circle of Life: awesome.

    Lion King, Can You Feel the Love Tonight: Meh. (I tried to teach her to wave her thumb back and forth like a lighter, but she wouldn't have it.)

    A Mi Mono Le Gusta La Lechuga: WAY fun.

    La Cucaracha: Hilarious, especially the mariachi version.

    Beyonce, If I Were a Boy: This actually made her sad and clingy...causing me to feel freaked out by the strange power of music to communicate emotion even to a 9 mos old child.

    I think that was it for today... Cheers from the States!

    Your fellow philosopher-nanny,
    C

    ReplyDelete