15 July 2009

On Italian Men

During undergrad I had a crazy (that term applies to both her intelligence and her mental status) Spanish philosophy professor who left after my sophomore year, but with whom I had a good relationship and still see on occaision. We met the summer after I returned from Rome and she made this unexpected remark: "Don't you just love Italian men and their compliments?"

I replied that I rather did not enjoy being cat-called while walking down the street, no matter in what country.

My esteemed professor then told me that Italian men compliment women differently than American men; Italian men are complimenting beauty while not being sexual, and I could not appreciate it because (and with this, I whole-heartedly agree) "All Americans are prudes."

However, concerning her main point:



I remain unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment